Author Topic: New toy  (Read 1412 times)

Stormrider

• Sniper School Graduate
New toy
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
Hello all.
I just ordered a new toy. It should be here this week. I ordered a Thermal Weapon sight. I've been able to look through one before and it was very interesting. I am now allowed by the state of Tennessee to hunt pigs almost anyway I want to. It'll be fun to be able to hunt at night using this new optic.
There is a picture and some information here: http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?28132-Raytheon-W1000-9-Thermal-Weapon-Sight

I can't decide whether to put it on an AR15 in 6.8 SPCII or 6.5BRX. It'll also mount on my 308.

thunder11

• Administrator
  • Sniper Section Leader
    • http://www.snajperskimetak.org/
Odg: New toy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
Hi Storm,
well I guess AR would be perfect for this. And this toy would be my first pick to test it out. OMG, when you said you ordered it , it was like it was about to ship to my own home address. Anyhow, since thats not gonna happen, I hope you will inform us on how this thermal thing works. I was always wondering if there is a chance a target could hide from such thing. Since it's combat equipment.
So Storm, prepare to be guinea ping just this once :D Please please please :D

thunder11
Postoje li dvodjelni leupold nosaci,fiksni, a da su iz jednog dijela?
Blackadder: We\'re about as similar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod.

Stormrider

• Sniper School Graduate
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »
I just spent about half an hour on the front porch last night watching traffic go by. Cars show up really well in thermal. I am learning how to use this thing, it's not exactly what I was thinking it would be. It works day and night with night being better because of the greater contrast. I was watching cars at ~800 meters and they were very easy to see. I think I'd be able to see a human pretty easily at that distance too.

As far as hiding from it, I don't think it would be all that hard. It won't see through walls or even heavy vegitation. Stand behind a tree trunk and it won't see you anymore than you could see it if you were looking with the naked eye. It "sees" by contrasting heat content of whatever you are looking at. If there is no contrast between what is in the viewfinder it won't see anything. Like looking up in the sky it will be black because there is no contrast.

No more time right now. I'll be back later.

ninoslavt

• Sniper Section Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing this with us. I also heard that this thing can't go through normal glass and some folks told me that you can beat it with 2$ survival blanket. Ok, I know it's passive not active device so last sentence is not quite right. But you know what I mean.
Anyway, really cool gem in anybody's collection!

thunder11

• Administrator
  • Sniper Section Leader
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »
In other words, if the wild-hogs are wondering around without survival blanket your are good to go.  :D To be honest, I was hoping it's military grade toy because I wanted to do the exact "tests" as you did. Sam from ARtactical said you can't beat new gen termal imaging scope. Now we have to wait few more years when those are truly avaliable for public.
Blackadder: We\'re about as similar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod.

Stormrider

• Sniper School Graduate
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »
It is military grade, just a couple of years old. It was supplied to our military and friendly nations military's for several years. Newer is 4 times as much cost and not available for civilian ownership.

I was out night before last looking at critters. We went to look at buffalo and saw deer, dogs, smaller critters and people. Ranges varied from 50m to 350+. Animals, traffic lights and cars stood out like searchlights. People and buffalo didn't stand out as well because of the insulating factors of clothing and thick fur on the shoulders and backs of the buffalo, but all were quite visible and recognizable. Yesterday morning it was very cool and I was looking at birds and squirrels. They just leaped out at me because of the temperature difference between them and the surrounding vegetation. It has been a real education using this thermal imager.

I tried putting it on a couple of rifles, too. I put it on one of my AR15s and shot it at the range. It was a lot of fun. Had no trouble seeing the target  but only shot it at 25y because I didn't have time to do anything else, and besides, I needed to get a starting point to zero it with. I think I'll leave it at around 50y or so. Most of our shots should be not much longer than that. Besides if I get it sighted at 50y it'll be sighted at close to 200y also. I'll check all this the next time I go to the range. After I went home I thought about putting it on a rimfire rifle so I put it on my CZ452 in 17HMR. I was kind of surprised that it didn't change the handling of the little rifle much at all. I didn't get to shoot that one yet. We are thinking of going to the hunt club and spending most of a night out there looking for beaver, hogs and other varmints. Might be able to do that next Saturday night.

I just got home from the oral surgeon. I had a couple of spots removed. One on the inside of my cheek and the other on the side of my tongue. I'm sitting at home now with stitches in my mouth and waiting for the anesthesia to wear off. They don't think it was anything to worry about, so I'm not. I'll get a lab report in about 10 days or so. No range time for me today... :-[

thunder11

• Administrator
  • Sniper Section Leader
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »
Quote from: Stormrider
It is military grade, just a couple of years old. It was supplied to our military and friendly nations military's for several years. Newer is 4 times as much cost and not available for civilian ownership.
Yes, the specs say its military grade. I think this one is not allowed to have over here so as you can imagine, we are more than interested to know more about termal visions from respectable srource, such as you.

I was out night before last looking at critters. We went to look at buffalo and saw deer, dogs, smaller critters and people. Ranges varied from 50m to 350+. Animals, traffic lights and cars stood out like searchlights. People and buffalo didn't stand out as well because of the insulating factors of clothing and thick fur on the shoulders and backs of the buffalo, but all were quite visible and recognizable. Yesterday morning it was very cool and I was looking at birds and squirrels. They just leaped out at me because of the temperature difference between them and the surrounding vegetation. It has been a real education using this thermal imager.
Its remarkable piece of equipment because it incorporates few technologies I'm personally not familiar with. Also Im little bit disappointed it's not more powerful like the ones your army has today.

Stormrider

• Sniper School Graduate
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:32:08 AM »
Only other one I've seen was much lighter and smaller. It wasn't milspec either. It did go to a 4x setting, though. That's only 1x more than mine, though. I'm waiting for my stitches to come out so my wife will let me go hunting. When the harness gets made for the video out I'll take some video of what I see.

Stormrider

• Sniper School Graduate
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 05:10:30 AM »
I did get to go hunting with it but never saw anything but deer and a rabbit. Was fun but never got to shoot anything. Deer season started so I had to put it up and wait for the end of the season. It'll be over the 5th of January so I'll get to go out pig hunting after that. It'll be the 17th before I can take it out and look for pigs. I'm hoping that we will have some success.

walker

• Sniper Team Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
Well, good luck.
And, Happy New Year!!!